Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Counting Points--One Point at a Time

Well, last night my mom and I went to a Weight Watchers meeting. We joined and we went home motivated (sorta) to start this process. I think we both had this gloom of the monthly price and then the cost of eating healthy and then, that large dark cloud of “Will it work this time”. I had looked at my budget going into this and I knew that it was going to be a hiccup in our already tight bank account. But as I went back and looked at the money we (James and I) were spending monthly at fast food and the daily purchases at the hospital cafeteria (mostly me!!), we were spending way more than the $40 a month fee for WW. I think sometimes we have to spend to get results. I spend $20 a month to go to the gym. I will spend $40 a month to go to WW. I, personally, like the group therapy type meetings. I love hearing others trials and struggles but more importantly, I love hearing their successes. It gives me hope and encourages me to not give up. And if you speak to those that succeed, that keep the weight off, they go to meetings!! So, as long as I can afford to go, I will attend the meetings.


I weighed in last night at 265lbs. I convinced myself that I had not gained weight since my last blog (as I promised myself), I had on clothes and boots and it was late in the day (6pm). The lady said that most weigh in with their shoes on the first visit so that the second visit you may “lose” weight (hint, no shoes=less weight) LOL. My 5% goal is 13lbs. I would love to have that off by Christmas. That is my goal. We shall see. One day at a time!!
 Today has been a struggle with points. I have not had a chance to go to the store and get the fruits and veggies that I need to fill the “voids” of my day. I logged my food and it was scary the point values that the foods I was eating daily actually have. A simple granola bar is 5points. Really?? Its organic and healthy, so I thought. I put it in my desk drawer for an emergency one day, but not today!! WW has changed the way they do their points. It’s not just fat and calories anymore. Its fat, carbs, protein and fiber. It’s more balanced. I like it. It’s making me really plan out these meals. I get 39 points a day. Sounds like a lot, but trust me, it isn’t.  You do get 49 extra points during the week and you get points for activity. I am not going to count my activity points. It will help me to lose more in the long run that way. Weight Watchers allows you to live life, eat every day foods, but makes you think more about what goes in your mouth and when!!


So, tonight, I have date night. We are heading to the theater to see Thor and I will get a small popcorn and my one diet drink a day allotment (I am drinking water through the day so I can have my soda tonight). I have added the points in already. Without butter, the popcorn is actually not bad. We are then heading to the grocery and stocking up on lots of fruits, veggies and frozen WW meals (for lunch). Dinners will be lean meats, veggies and some whole grain pastas and or rice. I am searching daily for ideas and meal plans that we all will love and can be simple. What are your favorite meals and how do you make them healthy and tasty at the same time?

No comments:

Post a Comment