Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Turkey and Broccoli and Pie....OH MY!!!

Well the holidays are upon us and for those of use that are really trying to watch what we eat and lose the weight, this time of year is a tough one. Let’s admit it, we can say that were going to only get a little taste of everything, but after that first bite your taste buds go into overdrive and it’s all you can do to to get back in line and start filling your plate with your favorite foods; broccoli casserole, stuffing (the real thing), oyster casserole, green bean casserole, pumpkin pie, caramel cake!! So many good foods end in casserole have you ever realized that that? I just did. *sigh* Anyway, I have been preplanning my Thanksgiving plate in my head for a week now. That may sound crazy, but the only way I am going to continue my weight loss is to be prepared. I prepare my foods daily; for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I know what I am going to eat for every meal of the day. So why should Thanksgiving be any different.

First and foremost, let me say I am so blessed and thankful this holiday season. I will be spending the holidays with a loving husband, an amazing little boy, my mom, stepdad, sisters, brother’s-in-law and my nieces and nephews. I will get to hug my aunts, uncles, cousins and even my grandmother. This day is truly so much more than food. It is a day to be thankful for all the prayers that have been answered, the memories made and to remember those that are no longer with us. It is about being thankful. It is about family. Now, with that said, you should know, when my family gathers, there will be food—LOTS OF FOOD!!!

For me, I know the main foods that will be in my Grannys kitchen this Thursday. For that matter, I already pretty much know who is making what. We plan. We assign foods and paper goods and drinks. We want to make sure we have plenty for the numerous people that will be around our Thanksgiving table, and trust me, we always have plenty!! So I am already calculating points. I am already envisioning my plate and what will be on it. If you struggle with something, you have to preplan, you have to think it out, and you have to know what your weaknesses are and what you need to do to overcome that weakness. I know my weaknesses. I know the foods that I will want to pile on my plate. And I do mean pile. I love the broccoli casserole, I love the REAL mashed potatoes, the real mac and cheese, I love the dressing and the caramel cake. There are so many things that will be in my Granny’s kitchen this Thursday afternoon that my mouth is salivating right now just thinking about it. So, knowing these weaknesses, I have preplanned my plate.

I am also being responsible for bringing foods that have 0 points. The healthy food if you will. I am bringing a veggie tray with a fat free veggie dip (1 point per serving) and a fruit tray with a very low calorie yet very tasty cheesecake fruit dip (1 point per serving). This is what I plan to munch on. This is what I plan to eat when I want to go back for seconds. I have compiled a few points below for some of our favorite things on Thanksgiving. Keep in mind, a person at a healthy weight would have like 26 points per day to eat. If your over weight, you obviously get more, but just look at these points and decide yourself, is it really worth eating if you’re really trying to lose the weight?

Turkey: white meat, no skin, 4 points
Green Bean casserole, ¾ cup, 5 points
Mashed potatoes, 1 cup, 8 points
Cranberry sauce, 1/3 cup, 8 points
Stuffing, 1 cup, 9 points
Broccoli Casserole, 1 cup, 6 points
Pecan Pie, 1 slice, 14 points
Pumpkin pie, 1 slice (no whip), 8 points

Know your portions. (WeightWatchers.com)
Use your hand to measure the actual amount of food on your plate. Here's how:
•Your fist is equal to one medium fruit or one measured cup
•Your palm minus the fingers is a 3 ounce portion of cooked meat
•Your thumb (whole thumb, from tip to base) is equal to one ounce of meat or cheese
•Your thumb from the tip to the first joint is about 1 tablespoon
•Your index finger from the tip to the first joint is about 1 teaspoon

These are just a few things I could find. My plan this year is to eat more veggies (cooked and raw) and less of the “good” stuff. I will have a “taste” of the broccoli, and the stuffing and the mashed potatoes, but I am looking forward to proving to myself that I can make smarter choices. I have the power over what I eat and what I don’t. I have the will and the desire to lose this weight that has taken me 25+ years to gain. I will get healthy and I hope that you will join me.

Weight loss update: I lost 5.4lbs last week so my grand total weight loss is 9lbs in 2 weeks. This has not been an easy 2 weeks, I won’t lie. But it has been two of the most rewarding in regard to my confidence and will power. I only worked out 1 day during this 2 week stint, so I wonder where I would be with activity?? My focus, however, is getting my head right. Making myself realize that I don’t need all the junk and that I actually like the good!! I will get back to the gym very soon. I actually miss going. I have a great workout partner that makes working out fun. But until then, I will log my food. ALL my food!! It’s the only way to stay on track!!

Thank you for reading Eat.Drink.Play and I hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment