Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Prayer

Prayer /pre(ə)r/ noun
noun: prayer; plural noun: prayers1. a solemn request for help or expression of thanks addressed to God or an object of worship.


For most people, the word prayer is a common word. They understand the meaning of what one is going to do when they say they are going to pray. While we often still think of prayer primarily as asking God for something, prayer, properly understood, is a conversation with God. When we speak or have a conversation with someone, we are implying that there is someone there, listening to us. So as we speak to God, we are acknowledging that he is there, listening to our every word. Communicating with God forms a bond, a relationship to speak, that grows with every word, every sentence, and every prayer.

Our minister at Bethel Presbyterian Church, just did a sermon on prayer this past week and he talked about prayer. He reminded us that God answers prayers, sometimes not the way we want him to answer, but in the way he sees fit too. Many of us pray for healing, good health, employment and sometimes financial security (not rich, but being able to pay our bills). We pray for our loved ones, for our friends and for nations facing mass destructions.


I am not a knee prayer. I don’t think you have to pray a certain way or at a certain time of day. I pray in my car, in the shower, while I am walking down the hallways at work. I pray quietly. I converse with God. I am building a relationship of trust and love and friendship. I think that is what we are supposed to do when we pray. We should pray like Jesus though. We should take time to be quiet and speak and more importantly, to listen. We should pray selflessly. I am learning to have selfless prayers. There was a time where I was very selfish in my prayers. A few years ago, when I wanted a baby more than anything, and I couldn’t have one naturally. I prayed. I cursed. I cried. I asked why on so many occasions. What I wasn’t thinking of was if/when he answered my prayer that meant that there would be a woman, who would make the ultimate sacrifice, by letting her child go and to be raised by another woman. God did answer my prayer. In his time, and it was beautiful. There is not a day that goes by that I don’t believe that he heard my cries and my pleas, but he knew when I was to become the mother of a precious little baby. My prayer was answered and I am grateful. However, there have been many times I prayed for something and it didnt happen. I had to accept that and thank him and move on. Occasionally, hours, days or sometimes even years down the road I have realized why or how God answered my prayer. Sometimes it was becasue he had someting better in store for me. Sometimes it was because he needed to know that I was faithful and would follow him even in times of despair.


Recently I have been faced with illness and death of so many that are young. I have family fighting cancer, one going in for surgery as I write this and dear friend fighting for his life while he awaits a liver transplant. I pray daily for these people. Each one is at a different stage in their illness. Some are weaker than others; some will heal faster than others. Some may lose their fight. So what I pray for is that God gives them comfort. Of course I want them healed, but more than anything I don’t want suffering. I pray that God gives them the strength to fight, the courage to face their battles and the acceptance for what is to come. I pray for the families, their caretakers that are walking next to their loved ones and at times carrying them. Deuteronomy 31:8 says that “The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged."


So today, right now, I ask that you say a little prayer for someone in your life, or maybe someone in my life, or maybe for someone you don’t even know like those in the Philippines that have lost so much. Pray for their comfort and their strength and their understanding. Pray for healing and hope and rebuilding. But more importantly, pray for acceptance that whatever happens, God is with us. God doesn’t want us to suffer or die, but he has promised us a place in heaven if we believe and have faith and accept him as our Lord and Savior. A place where there will never be anymore suffering or illness or destruction. A place, where we will be happy and healthy every day. So just pray. Pray when you want and how you want, but pray. God is listening. God wants to talk to you and with you. You may not hear or feel his answer, but he is there.


Please note. I am learning to be a better Christian and better follower of Jesus and above all, I am learning to have a relationship with God. These posts are my thoughts and my impressions. They may not be right according to scripture, but it’s what I feel and what I gain from my lessons. Regardless, I think we have to start somewhere, and this is where I am starting. There are many that are more versed in what the bible says and there are many that have a much stronger relationship with God. But I’m getting there and I hope you are too. So with that said, if there are loved ones that you would like lifted up in prayer, please feel free to comment with their name, or initials, below and I will pray for them (in the way that I pray) as well as others that may read this post. Thank you for reading. Thank you for praying. May God bless you and keep you safe.

2 comments:

  1. I truly feel the best prayer we can ever have is for the strenght to get through what we are going through. Belive it or not, I never prayed for healing for my Mom and Grandmother, I simply prayed for peace (as you said in your post). I also want to state that often those who are well versed in scripture may only be able to quote it - living it is another matter.

    ReplyDelete