Sunday, April 14, 2013

Sisyphean-The impossible task

While listening to the sermon today the minister referenced a Greek king that had been punished to an eternity of pushing a boulder up a hill and as he would near the top the boulder would roll back to the ground where he would have to start all over again.  Homer describes him as thus:

And I saw Sisyphus at his endless task raising his prodigious stone with both his hands. With hands and feet he tried to roll it up to the top of the hill, but always, just before he could roll it over on to the other side, its weight would be too much for him, and the pitiless stone would come thundering down again on to the plain


This got me thinking about life and all the difficult times that it seemed like all I was doing was rolling a boulder up a hill to just have it roll back down.  This boulder, my relationships, my friendships, my faith, my addictions, my insecurity, my infertility, my absent father, death, life, and everything in-between.  For too many years I felt like Sisyphus and that I was trying to do the impossible task.  Fighting the impossible battles--depression, anxiety, death.  This boulder had consumed my life and had robbed me from my happiness that God had laid out for me. 

Then one day I quit.  I quit pushing the boulder. I started praying and listening and I realized that with God, I did not need to push anything up a hill.  Psalm 18:2 says “The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.”  God was my rock, my salvation, the answer to uphill climb. 

When I turn my worries and my struggles over to God, I become strong.  I know that through him all things are possible and with faith I can move the mountain, the impossible task becomes possible.  Mathew 17:20 He replied, "Because you have so little faith. Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you."  So if you’re struggling, if you feel like your pushing a boulder up a mountain just to have it fall back down again, Stop pushing, start praying and have faith. Nothing is impossible with Christ. I know this because he says it!! 

Mathew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

No comments:

Post a Comment