Monday, April 8, 2013

Stop, pray and listen

When I want something, I want it now.  I don't want to wait 1 day, 1 month, 1 year.  I want what I want now!!  Well, as we all know, that's not how life works.  If you want something, you have to be patient.  I remember my drama teacher in middle school, Ms. Foley, she use to always say, Patience is not one of my virtues.  At 13, I had no idea what she meant.  It was just a saying that old people said.  Now I am that "old" person and am learning that patience is a virtue, one that I am still learning to have.  I have learned that sometimes you have to learn to live without it before you can learn to be thankful once you have have it.  You may have to put some blood, sweat and tears into it before you can say its complete.  You may never get what you want, but that may be because it was not what God felt you needed.  I learned patience when I wanted a child.  I knew from a small age that all I ever wanted, and was going to be, was a mom.  This is where I learned my virtue of patience.  I had to wait.  Not because I wanted to, but because that is what God had planned for me.  Jeremiah 29:11  "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."  It wasn't until I wanted that child more than anything that these words meant so much to me.  Our son came to us in Gods time, just as everything will if we just allow him to give it to us.  I never Quit giving up on my dream of being a mom, I just finally stopped, prayed and waited for God to answer.  He answers our prayers all the time, just as he had been answering mine, I was just to loud/busy with my life to listen to what he had to say. 

When I learned to stop and listen, I learned that anything is possible through Christ.  Philippians 4:13 tells us "I can do all this through him who gives me strength".  He will give you strength to get through anything that you are struggling with. I struggled with addiction to cigarettes for over 20 years.  I wanted to quit, I tried everything, but nothing ever worked.  One day, as I was driving to work, I got quiet.  I talked to God and I ask him to take this urge away because I wanted needed  to be here for my son, that I had waited so long for.  He answered, I listened.  I have never had the urge to smoke since that day.  I still get emotional when I think about it. He is so powerful!!  

I am now continue to struggle with being over weight.  I have been over weight since I was 18 years old.  I get depressed when I don't have the energy or the stamina to keep up with this adorable 3 year old.  The person I feel that I am on the inside is not the person that is displayed to the world on the outside.  It is depressing.  It is a struggle every day.  I have tried to exercise--I quit.  I have tried to diet--I quit.  I have had weight loss surgery--it didn't work.  I know the common factor to this failure is me and my approach.  So this time I am changing.  I am going to pray every day--all day, that God give me the strength to make smarter choices with my food and my exercise.  I am going to listen to him and I know that this time I will succeed.  With God, all things are possible.  I will never quit!! 

So if your struggling and you just want to quit--DONT!!  Dont every give up.  Stop, pray and listen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment